Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1st 2011-Conference Weekend-

Today we got to listen to General Conference, I felt like at times it was more of an attempt. The first session I was able to listen well to everything except the first talk and the last talk. (I was so disappointed that just when Elder Uchtdorf got up to spoke my children decided they needed a hundred things and we're now getting tired, but I am very excited to read it!) Anyway so as conference was starting I decided to think of two or three questions that I had been pondering lately. My first one was answered as soon as I was able to sit down and really pay attention. Sister Barbara Thompson spoke on receiving revelation. As a mother of young children (and I am sure most mothers can relate) I find myself constantly trying to find the best way to teach and communicate with my children. (especially because my 3 year old is just starting to talk) As I listened to her talk and heard the different ways that we receive revelation it just hit me! As I have been praying daily I have been answered constantly and consistently with little things to help me teach my children. The Lord would never leave us alone while we are trying to do His will in raising His children! All those times I have felt those tears of frustration because I feel like I must be doing something wrong, why else would my child behave in such a manner, and have prayed to know what to do I have felt the comfort of the Holy Ghost and have had my mind enlightened. The Lord knows I am no where near being a perfect parent, and has been helping me as a parent since before the day I gave birth to my first child. What a loving Heavenly Father we have, he may not have given me a step by step handbook on how to raise Rocky or how to raise Andi. But He has given and continues to give the help I need (which trust me is a lot.) I am so grateful for her talk and reminding me of just how loving our Heavenly Father is and that Rob and I are not alone in this parenting thing. We have the greatest teachers of all available to us if we only will chose to listen and obey. *And as a side note one of the things that my mind was enlightened with one morning a few weeks ago was to start personal scripture study with each child. I take each one (all two of them) aside each morning (or mid-morning as the day may go) and we pray together and read scriptures just the two of us. This has made a tremendous difference in my sons talking. He has even been better about tantrums and will take time to listen to me, and sometime (in those rare shinning moments) talk with me about things. I know that the Lord listens and answers our prayers, even when we are to blind to notice where those brilliant ideas are coming from.

There was another quote that I want to take note of which is from Jose L Alonso; "Do the right thing at the right time without delay." I have felt like I should call or go visit a friend or family member and then immediately thought, "well I'll need cookies, or a cake, or bread, anything to take over there so that I am just not showing up out of the blue!" or "what could I possibly do once I am there? I'm 22, and 26 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child!" I have failed to act, a simple phone call may have sufficed, and my 2 and 3 year old may have behaved perfectly had I walked/driven to that sisters house. I have need to repent, in the 4 years I have been in Relief Society (and married) I have felt out of place much of the time and have skipped many activities because I didn't feel that I belonged that I wasn't wanted or needed there. There are plenty of wonderful, capable sisters there that I surely would not be missed nor even noticed if I show up or not. But I would notice the difference in my life if I didn't go. So it is just time to move forward with my new resolve; JUST DO IT ALREADY! I may not be able to offer much but if I am feeling prompted the Lord will ensure that I am able to help. I just need to listen, AND DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment